Recent and seasoned veterans often find navigating the VA system a bit perplexing. At the Montana Veterans Foundation, we can help you gain access to the resources that will make your transition processes easier. 



Issue 1: Claim Assistance

There are various organizations to help you through a claim at the VA.  Many of these organizations are geared towards a specific service branch, but all of them have the experience and expertise to help you with this time consuming process.  As a veteran you have the freedom of choice and there are many of them.  Should you need assistance in choosing a Veteran Service Organization (VOS) please contact our Program Director at 406-449-7666. 


Issue 2: GI Bill and Education

The Serviceman’s Readjustment Act or the GI Bill as it is commonly known was established to provide veterans with college or vocational education as well as unemployment compensation for qualified veterans. To begin the process of exploring education opportunities and apply for education benefits visit


Issue 3: Medical Needs

Returning servicemen and women may find that they need medical attention for military related illnesses and injuries.  As a veteran, you are qualified to receive various health benefits but you must register first. To get registered or update your information with the VA website or call 877-222-VETS. Oftentimes veterans find that they need a Patient Advocate to speak on their behalf with VA personnel; if this is your case the Montana Veterans Foundation encourages you to contact Kevin Skocilich at Fort Harrison (Helena, MT) at 406-447-6064


Issue 4: Employment and Training

Unemployed veterans or veterans looking for employment training will find that the Montana Job Service can help develop your skills to fit the needs of the Montana business community. The employment specialists at Montana’s Job Service offices can assist veterans in securing employment and training as well as refer veterans to other service providers in both public and private agencies and organizations. To find a list of contact information for all of the Montana Job Service Offices visit the website or call Dan Bernhardt, Veterans Employment Program Manager, Phone: (406) 444-4480 or Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


Issue 5: Disability

If you are military veteran with a service-related disability you may qualify for over $3,100 in monthly benefits. These benefits are paid to veterans who have injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, or were made worse by active military service. It is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care. These benefits are tax-free. To learn more about these benefits and qualifications visit their either or


Issue 6: Pension

A pension is a benefit paid to wartime veterans who have limited or no income and who are 65 years of age or older or if you are under 65 but are permanently and totally disabled. Veterans who are more seriously disabled may qualify for Aid and Attendance or Household benefits. These are benefits that are paid in addition to the basic pension rate. To learn more about how you may qualify for a pension please visit or call a Veteran Service Organization. Montana Senator Jon Tester Can Help! If you are a Montanan and need assistance working with or getting answers from an agency of the Federal Government including the VA system, Senator Tester's office may be able to help. Visit the official website to learn more about what Senator Tester can do for you.